The nature reserve "Sosna Taborska" - "Taborska Pine"
The reserve covers over 230 years old tree stand with the majority of pine trees of Taborska type. Taborska pines which are appreciated around the world were used to build the masts of sailing ships. Within the reserve the research on longevity of the tree stands has been conducted. Another attraction is the 1.5 km long didactic trail with information panels.
Nature reserve "Rzeka Drwęca" – "The River Drwęca"
The longest ichthyoligical reserve in Poland. Aquatic environment is the subject to protection together with the fish that live in it: trout, noble salmon, vimba, lamprey and others. The ecosystem of the river creates favorable conditions for the occurrence of many species of water-mud birds.
"The Beavers Refuge" on the River Pasłęka
The reserve was created in the 1970s with a view to preserving beavers' habitats. This includes Pasłęka River with the land adjoined from the head of the river to the borders of the Braniewo city, along with three flowing lakes: Sarąg, Łęguty and Isąg. Till the eighteenth century beavers belonged to the group of the common land animals in Poland . But soon there was the almost total extinction. It is generally believed that these animals were eradicated in the early nineteenth century in Warmia and Marusia. Again, beavers appeared there as a result of conscious human activity.
Black Lake (Kliniak)
Black Lake is a nature flowers reserve covering mid-forest lake and its shores. Isoetes (Merlin's grass) is extremely rare in Poland. The plant originates from the pre-ice age and is classified as a boreal-Atlantic relict - and is subject to strict protection. The bottom of the lake is covered with sphagnum moss.
Natural monument - the oldest Taborska Pine
The oldest Taborska pine is... about 290 years old . It is 36 meters high, and its trunk measures... 3.5 meters. Wood from the Taborska Forest was widely known around the world as the best material for building ships - almost all masts in Europe were built thanks to that wood. After World War II Taborska Pine wood was used to rebuild the National Theatre in Warsaw and to construct the pier in Sopot. Today Taborska Pine is protected in the reserve.
Perkun Oak - the host of the forest
Perkun Oak is a monument of nature – it is 27m high and about... 600 years old. In its trunk there is a large hollow with a narrow entrance, which allows several people to get inside.
Indigenous Masurians family live in the village - one of the few that after World War II have not left Masuria. There is also a forester's lodge from the second half of the nineteenth century and the old cemetery.
Evangelical population who lived here built a chapel in the late nineteenth century. After World War II Catholics took it over, giving it the title of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary. In Biesal there are also preserved wooden Masurian cottages from the nineteenth century and brick houses from the turn of the XIX and XX century.
Plichta is full of Masurian houses from the turn of the XIX and XX century. In the center of the village there is a beautiful, wooden house with a porch. From the hill you can admire a picturesque view of the village. On the outskirts there are the remains of the monument dedicated to the residents who died in World War I (now standing on a private property).
Zawady Małe - a monument in the honor of the victims
A terrible tragedy took place in Zawady Small - the Nazis murdered 107 Poles and 11 Russians - escorted prisoners from German concentration camp, Soldau (KL), in Dzialdowo on the night of 21 and 22 January 1945. By the road in the woods there is a cemetery and three monuments in the honor of the victims.
Pearls of Western Mazur
Elblag channel connects Ostroda with Elblag
One of its branches connects Stare Jablonki with Ostroda. It is the flagship tourist attraction, it is well-known not only in the West Masuria but also in the whole Poland and even worldwide. Such a high rank of the system of waterways owes its fame to the uniqueness of its solutions in the global scale of hydraulic engineering. Built in the 1844-1881 for economic purposes - operates today, delighting the tourists. It is the work of material and technical ideas and the monument of national heritage. It is the only European channel, with the active - more than 120-year-old - system of land transportation of ships. Four locks and five slipways, aimed at defeating the nearly 100-meter difference in water levels between the Masurian lake, Pniewo, and Żuławski lake, Druzno, are the most original solutions that distinguish this nineteenth-century engineering marvel. Ramps are the most unique device that allow the ships to go uphill and downhill by land, on special rail platforms powered by water wheels. The activity of the ramps can be admired in Pasłęk and Rychliki (Elbląg County). The track consists of three main sections of the total length of 130 km and a number of water branches, including lakes and navigable sections of rivers. The longest of them connects Ostroda with Elblag (hence the name), the second - Miłomłyn with Iława, and the third - Ostróda with Stare Jabłonki. Thanks to the River Elblag and the Vistula Lagoon, the channel connects Masuria with the Baltic Sea.
The battlefield of Grunwald
In the vicinity of the village of Grunwald, in the municipality of the same name (in the Ostróda district) - there is a place associated with an important event in Polish history. Here, on July 15, 1410 in one of the biggest battles of medieval Europe, fought between the Teutonic Order and the Polish-Lithuanian troops, the latter had a spectacular victory. This fact is commemorated today by the monument towering over the fields, at the foot of which there is a museum of the battle. On every anniversary day, thousands of knights (brotherhoods of knights from Europe) and tens of thousands of tourists re-enact a huge historic spectacle presenting the battle.
Jeziorak is the longest lake (27 km) and the sixth largest in Poland. On the lake there is also situated the largest inland island in the country – The Great Żuława. Jeziorak is also the site of action of the book "The New Adventures of Mr. Car" written by Zbigniew Nienacki, where the main character is looking for treasures looted during World War II. In 2012 Jeziorak was recognized as one of the 7 Polish wonders in the voting organized by the "National Geographic Traveler" magazine.
Other attractions in the area:
- » Gietrzwałd - Sanctuary of the Virgin Mary, The Warmińska Inn
- » Museum of Folk Architecture - Ethnographic Park in Olsztynek
- » Forest Arboretum in Kudypy Forest District
- » Olsztyn - Warmia Castle, Planetarium and Observatory, Aero Club of Warmia and Masuria
- » Ostróda - The Teutonic Castle